How to Modify Child Custody in Florida in 3 Scenarios

How to Modify Child Custody in Florida in 3 Scenarios

Want to learn how to modify child custody in Florida? This article details a few circumstances that may give you the opportunity to change your child custody agreement.

Most of us don’t know what we will be doing next week, let alone in the next five or ten years. Since we cannot know with absolute certainty what we will be doing in our own lives, we cannot predict how child custody arrangements may play out. If you are divorced and have kids, the child custody agreement that you have at the moment may not always meet your needs or your child’s.

In Florida, divorced co-parents can petition the courts to modify their custody agreements. Here are a few scenarios that may allow you to make changes. 

When is changing child custody in Florida possible?

When the court originally ruled on your custody arrangement, it did so with several factors in mind, all with the goal of serving the best interest of the child. From your child’s age and the living situation at your home and your ex-spouse’s home to each parent’s ability to provide for them, the decision used your child’s well-being as a barometer.

These factors, however, may have already changed, or they may change in the future before your child reaches 18. To account for these changes, you may need to ask the court for accommodation.

You may be able to change your agreement in these scenarios.

Don’t know how to modify child custody in Florida? Get in touch with the Law Offices of Granda & Associates, P.A. today.

Both Co-Parents Agree to the Changes

Many times when both parents agree to the proposed changes, the courts will grant them. You and your ex-spouse should speak to your respective attorneys about drafting a new custody agreement.

Unfortunately, agreement can be difficult after divorce. If your ex-spouse does not agree to the changes you want, you may still have options.

A Substantial Change in Circumstances

If you have experienced a substantial change in circumstances, the court may consider modifying your agreement. However, you will need to provide evidence.

What the court considers a “substantial change” depends on the judge’s interpretation. A few common examples may include illness, injury, or addiction that prevents one parent from caring for the child.

Domestic Violence

The court takes domestic violence very seriously. If either you or your child have experienced violence from your co-parent, you may qualify for emergency relief. You should speak to an attorney about how to modify child custody in Florida in cases of domestic violence. In some cases, you may be able to win full custody of your child.

Talk to an Attorney about How to Change Child Custody in Florida

The challenges you face when trying to change your child custody arrangements depend on your circumstances. If you need help, please do not hesitate to contact the Law Offices of Granda & Associates. We are here to help in whatever way we can.