child support in Florida

5 Facts about Child Support in Florida You Need to Know

If you are a parent of a minor and you decide to get divorced, you could end up owing child support. Child support in Florida follows the laws of the state, so if you have filed for divorce or plan to file for divorce, it’s important to contact a knowledgeable attorney who is an expert in Florida law.

Do you want to avoid being surprised during your child support case? Here are 5 facts that you should know.

The Amount Is Based on a Formula

The amount that you or your ex-spouse owes isn’t some arbitrary number that the judge decides. You and your ex-spouse don’t get to decide the amount either. It is based on a math formula. It depends on each parent’s incomes and health care costs, the child’s health care and child care costs, and the number of court-ordered overnight stays each parent has.

There are many rules that apply to determining each parent’s income. For instance, did you know that if one spouse is self-employed that some business expenses count toward their income? That’s just one example of the complicated nature of child support.

A New Spouse’s Income Doesn’t Count

On the other hand, if you or your ex-spouse get remarried, the new spouse’s income does not count toward child support. The amount is still based solely on both of the parents’ incomes.

You Can Owe Child Support from Two Years Prior

Depending on certain factors, you could also end up owing child support in Florida for up to two years before your court case began. While the courts may determine that you owe nothing for those 24 months, it still helps to be prepared. Talk to an attorney to learn more about what you could end up owing.

It Is Required

Amicable divorces are great, but even if you and your ex-spouse have an understanding, the state is still going to require one spouse to pay child support. The reason for this requirement is that it is the child’s right to be supported however possible.

Child Support in Florida Can Be Modified

Luckily, the amount that the court orders you or your spouse to pay isn’t completely set in stone. If any of the above or other factors change, you can ask the court to modify the amount of child support due. This is true whether you want to increase or decrease the child support.

Contact a Florida Attorney Today

Whether you need help getting the support you are owed or need a modification to the amount you are already receiving, The Law Offices of Granda & Associates, P.A. is here to help. Let us take a look at your case so that we can work together to protect your rights and the rights of your children. Get in touch with us today to learn how we can help with child support in Florida.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *